In December 2015, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) released the nal ruling requiring the use of electronic logging devices (ELDs) for the commercial truck and bus industries. The nal rule was implemented to improve road safety, strengthen compliance, and protect commercial drivers. To assist eets in complying with the new regulations, Geotab has prepared this overview of the changes in the new regulations, including an electronic logging history and a comparison of the changes in the different rulings.
This paper addresses these important questions:
- What is an ELD?
- Who does the new ELD rule impact?
- What is the timeframe for compliance?
- What should motor carriers do to comply?
- What are the bene ts of ELDs?
- How can Geotab help with HOS/DVIR compliance?